Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Becoming a Big GIrl Now

This week I have started swimming without my floatation belt.  I was concerned that I was doing myself a fitness disservice by relying on a crutch.  So, like a big girl, I left it off and swam for 10 minutes without it. I am  afraid of the water, mind you, so this is a big deal.  After 10 minutes, I put it on and finished my swim.  Since then, I have  been swimming for 20 minutes without the belt.  It takes a few minutes to get my swimming rhythm going, but I get it.

As of today, I have lost 48 pounds.  I weighed in at 179.6 this morning.  If I am .2 under a whole number, I count it down.  Sounds better that way.  *;-.)

People ask me if I get tired of eating Grilled Chicken Salad for lunch every day.  Hola?  What is there to get tired of? My salad is not your run of the mill drab Iceberg Lettuce with tomato wedge salad.   I dress it up pretty.  I use multiple lettuces, such as Butter, Romaine, Red Leaf, and then I add half a bag of Spring Mix lettuce.  Sometimes I add fresh Cilantro.  Then I add peeled Cucumbers, shredded carrots or pre-cut Matchstix carrots, and always, always, always, Cherub tomatoes.  When you are limited in what you can eat (well, limited to that which is healthy and good for you, like in the Word of Wisdom) you go for the good stuff.

I read somewhere that diabetics can eat 3 cups of Salad.  Okay. I like that.  I bought 3-cup containers since I am out at the lunch hour 5 days a week.  I fill the container with my general salad mix, 3 ounces of grilled chicken (grilled with different things), 5 olives (green or black), 4-5 yellow "sunshine" tomatoes, and about 1 1/2 Tbl of sunflower seeds.  I sprinkle it all with my herbed vinegar, and Olive juice.  Other times I sprinkle it with the vinegar and a few TBL of Cucumber Salsa--Hot cha-cha!  What's to get tired of?  (when I don't have the salsa, I have sprinkled on Salsa Verde from a jar, or garlic, lime juice, olive juice and vinegar).  What is there to get tired of?
When I transfer this whole thing onto a dinner plate, it literally fills the plate.  I am shocked at how much is there, but I gladly eat it all (and I lose weight).

Ingredients:
Butter lettuce (bagged)
Romaine lettuce
Red Leaf lettuce
Spring Mix (or 50/50 spring and spinach)
Cucumbers
Grated carrot or match sticks
Cherub Tomatoes

3 ounces (cooked)  grilled chicken (I weigh it.)  As a rule, 3 ounces can be 1/2 of a large boneless chicken breast.  I slice them in half, horizontally, so there is the top and bottom.

Add what suits you.  I add
5 olives of choice
4-5 yellow cherry tomatoes
1 1/2 Tbl Sunflower seeds
2 Tbl herbed Cider vinegar ( Cider vinegar is known to lower blood sugar)

sometimes I add
2 Tbl Olive Juice

Other times I add about 4 big spoonfuls of   Cucumber Salsa.

Other times I add the vinegar, olive juice, garlic and garlic juice and lime juice.

At the moment, the Lord does not allow me to use store bought salad dressings and home made creamy dressings are a rarity, so I get creative with what I have.  He wants me on a low fat diet and Low Glycemic Load foods (mostly a rating of 7 and under.  ) Glycemic Load is the effect a food has on your blood sugar.

Notes to self:

  • Keep looking for more interesting ways to dress your salad
  • try something new in it
  • Kudos for swimming without the floatation belt
  • Kudos for keeping it up
  • Kudos for listening to the Lord for direction and following it.
  • Chicken has a Glycemic load of 0
  • and so does a few slices of Hormel Turkey Pepperoni 

No comments:

Post a Comment