Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 3- who needs expensive equipment?



Patrick and I walked again in the afternoon yesterday, day 2. It's not a good idea to walk on the road after 3 pm because there is a lot of incoming traffic. The walk was sunny, refreshing and a nice time to spend with Patrick. But 1/3 way through the walk, my left heel started talking to me. Darnit Garnit. Can't walk 2 days in a row. I know that.


Walked 1/2 mile
free weights and bands, abs

You don't have to buy a lot of expensive equipment to do resistance training at home. A box of 1/2 inch wide rubber bands from a print shop will do. Office Depot in Conway didn't carry them a few years ago when I checked. Check smaller shops.
Just loop 2-4 of them together like a long band and you've got exercise equipment. You can do Lat pull downs, pectoral work, arms, leg work, squats, rows....

Dinner was Maple Sausage and Rice stir fry and more salad. We like to use a Wild and Brown Rice blend that I find in the health food section at Kroger. Nicer flavor.
Sausage and Rice Stir Fry
1 cup Lundberg Wild Blend Rice
1 cup Brown rice
2 cups organic chicken broth (NOT a clear chicken broth like Swanson or progresso. I find organic broths in the health food section at Kroger)
2 cups water

At least 2 hours before dinner, place rice and above mentioned liquids in a pot and cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Let simmer 50 minutes or until done. Remove from heat and let cool.

1 pkg Maple bulk sausage
1 small package frozen 3 pepper and onion mix
1/2 package frozen small peas, Cooked according to package directions
Brown Maple Sausage then add pepper and onion mix. Cook unil vegetables are tender. Add rice and peas. Serve it up hot for breakfast or dinner.

My family loves this. I am not saying Sausage is the healthiest thing in the world to eat, but like I said before, all things in moderation. Brown rice and wild rice have a higher nutritional value than White rice. I also prefer to use a smaller
plate. Mine is bigger than a saucer, but smaller than a normal plate. Is pretty clear glass with an embossed rose pattern. (Yes, the plate on the left is PINK!)
I LOVE salad. I really do. And when you are trying to eat right, it's important to buy the smart choice foods you love. So I use the fancy lettuce in the bags along with Romaine or Red Leaf (skip the iceberg), grape tomatoes, Yellow tomatoes.... I love sugar snap peas and keep them around. I love carrot chips and nibble on those. No feelings of deprivation when you eat smart choices that you love, such as Garlic Stuffed Olives!!! YES!!! Mezzetta Colossal Garlic stuffed Olives are one of the basic food groups as far as I am concerned. (yes I know they are not low fat, but they are not 6 sugary fatty cookies or a fist full of chocolate. Sometimes I put 3 in my salad) Is this why I am still single?

Note to self
  • Kudos for working out even in afternoon
  • Walk before 3 pm so you're not jumping into the ditch to avoid getting creamed by Red Neck Roy doing 55 in his dirty white pick up around a blind curve in a 35 mph zone.
  • Revise exercise schedule. Plan to do something else cardio between walking days. You know you can't do that no matter how much you love walking.
  • Remember to eat the smart choices you love even tho they cost more.

No comments:

Post a Comment